The family of late gospel singer Omije Ojumi has broken its silence following the cancellation of burial plans initially proposed by some of the singer’s colleagues, clarifying the circumstances and addressing circulating claims on social media.
Speaking on behalf of the family during Wednesday’s service of songs and artistes’ night, the singer’s brother-in-law, Mr. Femi Eretan, explained that the family opted to manage the burial arrangements independently after disagreements with members of the gospel music community.
He emphasised that, contrary to online reports, the family remains peaceful and united, noting, “many people are crying more than the bereaved.”
Eretan said that immediately after Omije Ojumi’s death, the family reached out to key relatives from both her paternal and maternal sides, as well as community elders in the village. Initially, the head of the family, Mr. Wale Akinaanu, had agreed with the singer’s colleagues to organise the burial within a week due to his health and grief, and to avoid keeping her remains in the morgue for too long.
However, after further family discussions, it was decided that, given that the late singer had children and a husband, and with both her parents deceased, she deserved a more dignified burial that would be carefully planned by the family.
Eretan revealed that he tried to reach the spokesperson of the artistes who had earlier offered to manage the burial, requesting a phone conversation to explain the family’s position, but the request was declined. He also contacted an elderly member of the group, who reportedly said, “If it is about Omije Ojumi, I am not interested.” Following this breakdown in communication, the family assumed full responsibility for the arrangements.
He further condemned a video shared online by a self-proclaimed prophet claiming that the family was begging for funds and seeking the artistes’ intervention. Eretan strongly denied the allegation, warning of legal action if proof is not provided. “I am from Ondo State and I understand the rudiments of the law. Anyone who claims the family begged for burial funds must provide proof,” he said.
READ ALSO:
- Dele Momodu Confirms Behind-the-Scenes Efforts To Resolve Sophia Momodu, Davido Clash
- Ogun Police Deny Arrest Of TikToker Mirabel Amid Assault Claims
- Tinubu Signs Electoral Act Bill Into Law Ahead of 2027 Elections
- Why ICPC Is Holding El-Rufai — What We Know So Far
- How Love, Teamwork Sustained My Marriage Despite Earning More Than My Husband For 13 Years – Ibukun Awosika
Despite the controversy, Eretan expressed gratitude to the artistes who honoured Omije Ojumi in their own ways by attending the service of songs.
The situation mirrors a recent dispute surrounding the burial of another late gospel singer, Bunmi Akinnaanu, whose funeral was delayed following disagreements between her family and gospel music industry members over arrangements.
Omije Ojumi’s family has appealed to the public to disregard misleading reports online and allow the late singer to be honoured with dignity and peace.





