Presidential candidates and national leaders of several political parties have signed the first National Peace Accord ahead of Nigeria’s 2027 general elections.
The agreement was signed on Tuesday at the International Conference Centre in Abuja during a ceremony organised by the National Peace Committee, chaired by former Head of State, General Abdulsalami Abubakar.
President Bola Tinubu was represented at the event by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, who signed alongside the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, Nentawe Yilwatda.
The presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, Peter Obi, and African Action Congress candidate Omoyele Sowore personally signed the agreement.
Representatives of other political parties, including the Labour Party, Democratic Leadership Alliance, National Democratic Party, National Rescue Movement, Social Democratic Party, Youth Party, Young Progressives Party and Zenith Labour Party, also participated in the ceremony.
Footage from the event showed party leaders and candidates taking turns to sign the document.
An MC described the occasion as an opportunity for the political actors to affirm that despite differences over how Nigeria should be governed, “this great nation must move forward in peace and harmony.”
He stressed that the agreement was “not a mere ceremony” or simply “putting ink on paper,” but a commitment to peaceful political engagement.
The National Peace Committee has organised similar agreements during previous election cycles as part of efforts to prevent violence and promote peaceful democratic transitions.
READ ALSO:
- FG, States, LGs Share N3.007tn As Federation Revenue Rises In July
- Funke Etti Recounts Alleged Sexual Pressure From Movie Director
- 2027: Tinubu, Obi, Sowore, Others Sign National Peace Accord In Abuja
- Nollywood Actor Ogogo Diagnosed With Stage-Four Cancer
- How I Was Invited To Witches’ Meeting — Kunle Omisore
However, Sowore criticised the latest accord, describing it as a “ritual” and questioning its effectiveness in preventing election-related violence.
Speaking with journalists after the ceremony, he cited deaths recorded during the August 15 governorship election in Osun State.
“I don’t have faith in it. I’m bringing faith to the system. Those are two different things,” Sowore said.
He alleged that some individuals who had previously signed peace agreements later became involved in violence.
“The people who signed the peace accord in Osun State killed 50 people after they signed the peace accord.
“So if you meant anything at all, why would you sign the peace accord and then go and carry a gun after that and kill 50 people? What will you be expecting after signing today’s peace accord? We conclude the ritual and move on to campaigning.”
Sowore called for what he termed a “Justice Accord”, arguing that the agreement should include penalties for candidates and political parties that breach its provisions.
Obi, however, urged political actors to maintain peaceful and issue-focused campaigns throughout the election season.
“We have a peaceful, issue-based campaign. We must, for the sake of this country, ensure that our conduct reflects the office we’re seeking, our behaviour. We must do the right thing and campaign on issues that Nigerians are going through today,” Obi said.
The former Anambra State governor also urged politicians and Nigerians to remember those who lost their lives during the recent Osun election.
“Let us not forget those who died in ensuring that the election in Osun was achieved, the way it went. We should visit them, console their families, remain prayerful and conduct ourselves in a way that in our democracy, nobody needs to die for an election. It is painful, and I wish it never happens again,” he added.
Tuesday’s event marked the first National Peace Accord signing involving parties and candidates preparing to contest the 2027 general elections under the leadership of Abubakar’s National Peace Committee.





