United States President Donald Trump on Saturday asserted that American forces had taken Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and his wife into custody following what he described as a “large-scale” military operation against Venezuela.
The claim was made in a post on Trump’s Truth Social platform and immediately triggered strong reactions inside Venezuela, where authorities declared a state of national emergency and condemned what they called “military aggression.”
As of the time of reporting, the Venezuelan government has not issued a direct response to Trump’s assertion that Maduro has been captured.
In Caracas, residents reported hearing multiple explosions across the city. Videos shared online showed heavy smoke and fires in different locations. Speaking to the BBC, one eyewitness said, “My heart was pumping and legs were shaking,” after the blasts were heard.
The development follows weeks of escalating tension between Washington and Caracas, with Trump intensifying pressure on Maduro’s administration. The United States has long accused Maduro of leading an international drug trafficking network, an allegation he has consistently denied.
Trump did not provide details on how Maduro and his wife were apprehended or where they were taken, and Venezuelan authorities have not confirmed the claim.
The U.S. government had previously announced a $50 million reward for information leading to Maduro’s arrest. Alongside a significant military build-up in the region in recent months, the move was widely interpreted as an attempt to encourage internal opposition against the Venezuelan leader.
READ ALSO:
- Lagos Penalizes 17 Residents ₦40,000 Each for Open Defecation, Urination
- Peller Shares Terrifying Moment As Fire Breaks Out In Lagos Home
- Don’t Record Other Passengers Without Their Consent – FAAN Warns
- Papaya Ex Speaks Out Over Alleged Police Assault in Lagos (VIDEO)
- Trump Rejects Supreme Court Ruling That Overturned Global Tariffs on Nigeria, 184 Other Countries
Trump also said he would address the issue at a news conference scheduled for 11:00 a.m. EST (16:00 BST) at his Florida residence, Mar-a-Lago.
In his Truth Social post, Trump wrote in full: “The United States of America has successfully carried out a large-scale strike against Venezuela and its leader, President Nicolas Maduro, who has been, along with his wife, captured and flown out of the Country. This operation was done in conjunction with U.S. Law Enforcement. Details to follow. There will be a News Conference today at 11 A.M., at Mar-a-Lago. Thank you for your attention to this matter! President DONALD J. TRUMP.”





