The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has called off its planned nationwide strike following intervention by Vice President Kashim Shettima.
Speaking to The PUNCH on Sunday, NARD President Dr. Mohammad Suleiman explained that the decision came after a meeting of the association’s National Executive Council (NEC).
He said the Vice President requested additional time to address the issues raised by the doctors, and the NEC agreed to his request.
“The NEC has met and we have decided to give the Federal Government more time. The Vice President of the country has intervened and asked for more time and the NEC has graciously given him more time. In essence, the strike is not starting tomorrow,” Suleiman said.
NARD had previously announced on January 3 that it would resume “a total, indefinite and complete strike, known as TICS 2.0,” starting January 12. The planned industrial action was prompted by what the association described as the Federal Government’s failure to implement previously agreed terms with resident doctors, including agreements in a Memorandum of Understanding.
READ ALSO:
- Edo Governor Appoints Mercy Johnson As Special Adviser
- Dele Momodu Confirms Behind-the-Scenes Efforts To Resolve Sophia Momodu, Davido Clash
- Ogun Police Deny Arrest Of TikToker Mirabel Amid Assault Claims
- Tinubu Signs Electoral Act Bill Into Law Ahead of 2027 Elections
- Why ICPC Is Holding El-Rufai — What We Know So Far
The strike decision followed an Emergency National Executive Council meeting held on January 2.
In addition, the National Industrial Court of Nigeria, Abuja, on Friday issued an order barring NARD and its members from going on strike. Justice Emmanuel Subilim granted the injunction after an ex parte motion was filed by the Federal Government and the Attorney General of the Federation, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN). The motion was presented in court by Maimuna Shiru, Director of Civil Litigation at the Federal Ministry of Justice, who led a team of government lawyers.





