• Latest
  • Trending
  • All
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
Gabonese Military Officers ‘Seize Power’ After Bongo’s Third Term Re-election

Gabonese Military Officers ‘Seize Power’ After Bongo’s Third Term Re-election

October 9, 2024
NDLEA Arrests Woman With Fake Baby Bump Concealing Tramadol

NDLEA Arrests Woman With Fake Baby Bump Concealing Tramadol

February 22, 2026
Results Of The By-elections As A Referendum On Tinubu Presidency

Results Of The By-elections As A Referendum On Tinubu Presidency

February 22, 2026
Livestream Turns Chaotic As Peller, Carter Efe Vandalise Each Other’s Cars (Video)

Livestream Turns Chaotic As Peller, Carter Efe Vandalise Each Other’s Cars (Video)

February 22, 2026
Elumelu Pays Tribute as Father-in-Law, Ex-UBA Chairman Ogbue, Dies at 99

Elumelu Pays Tribute as Father-in-Law, Ex-UBA Chairman Ogbue, Dies at 99

February 22, 2026
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Adverts
Sunday, February 22, 2026
  • Login
Kemi Ashefon Love Haven
  • News
  • Dear Kemi
  • Intimacy
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Tech
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Dear Kemi
  • Intimacy
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Tech
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
Kemi Ashefon Love Haven
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Entertainment

Gabonese Military Officers ‘Seize Power’ After Bongo’s Third Term Re-election

Kemi Ashefon by Kemi Ashefon
2 years ago
in Entertainment, General, Lifestyle, News, Politics
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Gabonese Military Officers ‘Seize Power’ After Bongo’s Third Term Re-election
491
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Gabonese military officers ‘seize power’ after Bongo’s third term re-election

Army officers appeared on national television to say they have seized power in Gabon after President Ali Bongo was re-elected to a third term in office in the Central African nation.

According to the BBC, the officers said they were annulling the results of Saturday’s election which the opposition had denounced as “fraudulent”.

Twelve soldiers announced that they were dissolving “all the institutions of the republic”.

“We have decided to defend peace by putting an end to the current regime,” one of the soldiers was quoted as saying on TV channel Gabon 24.ttempt.

The soldier cited “irresponsible, unpredictable governance resulting in a continuing deterioration in social cohesion that risks leading the country into chaos”.

Introducing themselves as members of the Committee of Transition and Restoration of Institutions (CTRI), the soldiers also announced closure of the country’s borders.

The Gabonese Election Centre (CGE) had declared Bongo winner of the election on Wednesday with 64.27% of the votes cast.

Michel Bonda, CGE head, said Bongo’s main challenger, Albert Ossa, had polled second with 30.77%.

Bongo’s team have rejected Ossa’s allegations of electoral fraud and irregularities.

Tensions have been running high in Gabon with fears of unrest, following the presidential and parliamentary elections.

A night-time nationwide curfew had been imposed and internet was cut off after the poll.

Bongo’s overthrow would end his family’s 53-year hold on power. He became president when his father Omar died in 2009.

Bongo, 64, suffered a stroke in 2018 which sidelined him for almost a year and led to calls for him to step aside.

In 2019, there was a coup attempt on Bongo. Soldiers who led the failed putsch were sent to prison.

Kemi Ashefon Love Haven

Copyright © 2024 Kemi Ashefon Love Haven.

Navigate Site

  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Policy
  • Contact Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Policy
  • Contact Us

Copyright © 2024 Kemi Ashefon Love Haven.