The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Moshood Jimoh, has reiterated that human rights activist and 2023 African Action Congress presidential candidate Omoyele Sowore remains wanted for attempting to incite public disturbance in Lagos State.
Jimoh made the disclosure on Monday while receiving social activists on a courtesy visit at the Lagos State Police Command Headquarters, Ikeja. He noted that following his initial declaration, a lawyer had reached out to inquire where Sowore should report, and the command’s legal department was directed to liaise with the lawyer. However, Sowore has yet to present himself.
“There is no time limit for arresting Sowore. He has been declared wanted, and wherever he is seen within Lagos State, he will be arrested,” Jimoh said. He added that he had not been served any court order restraining him from apprehending Sowore. “I am not aware of any court order, nor have I been served any court order that restrains me from arresting Sowore. The police are a respecter of the law. If there’s any court order today, I will equally comply with the court order,” he stressed.
On the legality of declaring Sowore wanted without a court-issued warrant, Jimoh referenced the constitution. “Section 215 (1b), (4), and (5) of the Nigerian Constitution gave the Commissioner of Police, who is myself as the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State, the right to ensure law and order, protection of lives and property, and public safety and security as I deem fit,” he said.
He explained that his declaration was meant to prevent anyone planning to incite chaos, destroy property, or threaten the lives of Lagos residents. “If that is the provision of the constitution, I think it is neither ambiguous nor controversial. As I deem fit, I will be proactive in ensuring that anybody who wants to come into Lagos to cause mayhem, destroy property or lives, or threaten the existence of Nigerians living in Lagos is declared wanted. That is the power under the constitution upon which I declared Sowore wanted,” Jimoh added.
READ ALSO:
- Tinubu Signs Electoral Act Bill Into Law Ahead of 2027 Elections
- Why ICPC Is Holding El-Rufai — What We Know So Far
- How Love, Teamwork Sustained My Marriage Despite Earning More Than My Husband For 13 Years – Ibukun Awosika
- Controversy Trails Late Nigerian Boxer’s Estate as Widow, Family Clash
- Ogun Police Investigate Alleged Rape of TikToker, Survivor Hospitalised
The CP further emphasized the command’s commitment to safeguarding lives and property and warned against attempts to block the Third Mainland Bridge, noting that such actions endanger commuters, compromise the integrity of the bridge, and harm the nation’s economy.
In his remarks, social activist Dr Segun Awosanya (Segalink) supported the police, highlighting the challenges posed by individuals posing as activists. “All the insecurity that foreign countries are criticising us for today is because of the maltreatment of the Nigerian Police system. We have intimated all arms of government, including the Presidency, from 2015 downwards, on the need to reinforce, reposition, reorganise, and re-energise the Nigeria Police Force,” Awosanya said.
He added, “We have seen in modern times how people call themselves activists to cause danger to their own society, and they do things without consequences. Police work has become more difficult than ever before. A lot of people are into activism for the grants they are going to get, and they don’t understand the position of patriotism. That is why we have come to reinforce our support for the Nigeria Police.”
Awosanya concluded that social activists would continue advocating against lawlessness disguised as activism.
This marks the third time the Lagos CP has declared Sowore wanted following plans to mobilize protesters to block the Third Mainland Bridge in response to the demolition exercise in Oworonshoki. Sowore, however, has rejected the wanted status, describing it as unlawful and arguing that no police officer has the authority to declare someone wanted without a court-issued warrant. He also alleged that the declaration was connected to the police’s failure to execute an alleged shoot-at-sight order during the Oworonshoki protest, a claim Jimoh has denied.





