The Nigeria Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has reaffirmed its decision to go ahead with the planned industrial action on January 12, 2026, despite an order from the National Industrial Court restraining the union.
According to NARD President, Dr. Mohammad Suleiman, only the union’s National Executive Council (NEC) has the authority to halt the planned strike.
The National Industrial Court in Abuja had on Friday issued an interim injunction, restraining the association and two of its officials from embarking on any industrial action from January 12, 2026. Justice E. D. Subilim granted the order in suit NICN/ABJ/06/2026, filed by the Federal Government and the Attorney-General of the Federation against NARD, Dr. Suleiman, and Dr. Shuaibu Ibrahim.
Speaking on a Channels TV programme on Friday evening, Suleiman said members of the union were undeterred by the court order, insisting that the government had not acted in good faith despite NARD suspending its previous strike in November 2025.
He said, “We signed the MoU on the 27th of November. The strike was supposed to start on the 27th of December. NEC carried it over, and at the beginning of this year, we met again and gave more days.
“Then, at the close of work today, I started hearing from social media that a court injunction has been served. I’m even hearing that ‘no work, no pay’ documents have been released.
READ ALSO:
- Edo Governor Appoints Mercy Johnson As Special Adviser
- Dele Momodu Confirms Behind-the-Scenes Efforts To Resolve Sophia Momodu, Davido Clash
- Ogun Police Deny Arrest Of TikToker Mirabel Amid Assault Claims
- Tinubu Signs Electoral Act Bill Into Law Ahead of 2027 Elections
- Why ICPC Is Holding El-Rufai — What We Know So Far
“When we are discussing and negotiating, it should be done in good faith. Once you start bringing out armouries and arms like this, it means you don’t want to negotiate in good faith.”
Asked if NARD would proceed with the strike despite the court order, Suleiman replied that it would continue “unless the National Executive Council of the Nigeria Association of Resident Doctors says otherwise.”
He added that discussions with the Federal Government were ongoing, expressing hope that the impasse could be resolved over the weekend. “We are in conversations. We are in discussions with the Federal Government’s team. I hope that between tonight and Sunday, a lot of things will be done properly,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital branch of NARD (LASUTH-ARD) has pledged support for the nationwide strike.
In a statement on Friday, LASUTH-ARD President Dr. Akerele Alaba said, “Resident doctors at LASUTH would fully comply with the directive of the national body to resume the Total Indefinite and Comprehensive Strike 2.0, tagged ‘No Implementation, No Going Back.’
“The Federal Government has failed to fulfill its part of the agreement. Many of the items have been completely neglected, altered, or only partially implemented.”
Dr. Alaba revealed that the decision followed resolutions from NARD’s Extraordinary National Executive Council meeting, held virtually on January 2, 2026.





