Anti-migrant protesters gathered outside the Cape Town Regional Court on Wednesday as proceedings involving former Miss Universe Nigeria, Chidimma Adetshina, were postponed until next year.
Adetshina is facing renewed deportation proceedings over allegations that she remained in South Africa illegally.
The 25-year-old beauty queen has been at the centre of a prolonged citizenship controversy since she entered the Miss South Africa 2024 pageant. Questions over her nationality sparked intense public debate, eventually prompting her to withdraw from the competition after citing safety concerns for herself and her family.
She subsequently left South Africa before being invited by Silverbird Group to compete in the Miss Universe Nigeria pageant, which she went on to win.
However, Adetshina was arrested in June after allegedly entering South Africa unlawfully. She was detained in the Summer Greens area of Cape Town and later appeared in court.
Outside Wednesday’s proceedings, protesters held placards and chanted, “South Africa only belongs to South Africa.”
Some of the signs read: “Ubuntu in South Africa has been suspended until further notice — while we are busy fixing our country.”
Other protesters carried banners stating, “It’s time to go” and “South Africa is not a refugee site for African countries.”
The demonstration was supported by Operation Dudula, an anti-migrant civic movement.
‘SHE MUST BE DEPORTED’
Zodwa Booi, interim president of Operation Dudula, maintained that Adetshina was unlawfully in South Africa and should be deported.
READ ALSO:
- Adetshina’s South Africa Deportation Case Adjourned Amid Calls For Her Return To Nigeria
- Uber, Bolt Can Still Operate At Nigerian Airports, FAAN Clarifies
- Shell Reinforces Safety Commitment at CEO Contractors Forum
- Dangote Refinery Could Not Have Survived Under Petrol Subsidy Regime — Oyedele
- Adeleke Receives Certificate Of Return, Announces N500m Fund For Election Violence Victims
Booi argued that Adetshina should leave the country and follow the same immigration process as other foreign nationals seeking to reside there.
“Chidimma herself decided to come into the country illegally through the Mozambican border,” he said.
“So now we have operation to say no to illegal people in our country, regardless of who you are. Whether you grow up here, but if you are illegal you need to leave this country. You will have to come back and apply like everybody else. We are saying she must be deported. Even if the case is postponed till next year.”
Following the hearing, an associate of Adetshina was reportedly struck with a road cone while trying to leave the area.
‘I AM BEING TARGETED UNDER XENOPHOBIA’
Speaking to journalists, Adetshina accused her critics of subjecting her to xenophobic attacks and said she had cooperated with the relevant authorities throughout the legal process.
She also claimed that details surrounding her citizenship had been inaccurately portrayed.
“I believe that I have been treated unfairly and targeted. And there has been an attempt to make me an example. But my message is not one of anger. South Africa is governed by law. And we should not allow xenophobia and misinformation to determine how people are going to be treated,” she said.
“Throughout this ordeal, I have availed myself of all appropriate legal reports. And I will continue to respect and abide by each process.”
The former beauty queen thanked her family, friends, supporters and legal team for standing by her throughout the dispute.
Adetshina was born in Soweto to a Nigerian father of Igbo descent and a Mozambican mother. Her citizenship has remained the subject of legal scrutiny and public debate in South Africa.
Her parents reportedly met in Johannesburg in the late 1990s before settling in Pimville.
In July, Adetshina disclosed that the prolonged controversy had left her “exhausted, burnt out and depressed”, although she remained determined to continue fighting the case.





