Nigeria’s national electricity grid suffered another system collapse on Tuesday, marking the second incident within four days and the third in less than a month.
Checks showed that electricity generation fell sharply from about 3,825 megawatts at 10 a.m. to an alarming 39MW by 11 a.m. Earlier in the day, generation had peaked at approximately 4,762MW around 6 a.m. before the sudden crash.
Confirming the development, Eko Electricity Distribution Company (EkoDisCo) informed its customers that the collapse led to a widespread power outage across its network.
“Kindly be informed that there was a system collapse at 10:48 hrs, which has resulted to a loss of power supply across our network,” the company said in a statement.
It added that efforts were ongoing to restore supply in collaboration with the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN). “We are currently working with our TCN partners as we hope for the speedy restoration of the grid. We will keep you updated as soon as power supply is restored. Kindly bear with us,” EkoDisCo stated.
Data from the time of the collapse indicated that load allocation to all electricity distribution companies dropped to 0.00MW, meaning no Disco was supplying power nationwide when the incident occurred.
READ ALSO:
- Dele Momodu Confirms Behind-the-Scenes Efforts To Resolve Sophia Momodu, Davido Clash
- Ogun Police Deny Arrest Of TikToker Mirabel Amid Assault Claims
- Tinubu Signs Electoral Act Bill Into Law Ahead of 2027 Elections
- Why ICPC Is Holding El-Rufai — What We Know So Far
- How Love, Teamwork Sustained My Marriage Despite Earning More Than My Husband For 13 Years – Ibukun Awosika
While the Nigerian Independent System Operator (NISO) is yet to provide a detailed explanation for Tuesday’s collapse, it confirmed that the outage happened around 12:40 p.m. and was triggered by the simultaneous tripping of multiple 330kV transmission lines.
The latest incident follows earlier grid failures on December 29, 2025, and Friday, January 23, 2026. Reacting to the January 23 outage, NISO had explained that the disturbance led to a total shutdown of the national grid.
“The Nigerian Independent System Operator wishes to inform the public that at approximately 12:40 hours on Friday, 23 January 2026, the national grid experienced a system-wide disturbance, which resulted in a total outage across the interconnected network,” the statement said.





