• Latest
  • Trending
  • All
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
It’s Death Sentence For Saudi Arabia’s Female Activist, Israa al-Ghomgham

It’s Death Sentence For Saudi Arabia’s Female Activist, Israa al-Ghomgham

October 9, 2024
Elumelu Pays Tribute as Father-in-Law, Ex-UBA Chairman Ogbue, Dies at 99

Elumelu Pays Tribute as Father-in-Law, Ex-UBA Chairman Ogbue, Dies at 99

February 22, 2026
Lagos Warns Motorists Against Poor Handling of Number Plates

Lagos Govt Denies Resumption of Monthly Environmental Sanitation Exercise

February 22, 2026
Sarah Martins Surprises Dispatch Rider Who Professed Love To Her With Luxury Lunch

Sarah Martins Surprises Dispatch Rider Who Professed Love To Her With Luxury Lunch

February 22, 2026
Lagos Warns Motorists Against Poor Handling of Number Plates

Lagos Penalizes 17 Residents ₦40,000 Each for Open Defecation, Urination

February 21, 2026
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Adverts
Sunday, February 22, 2026
  • Login
Kemi Ashefon Love Haven
  • News
  • Dear Kemi
  • Intimacy
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Tech
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Dear Kemi
  • Intimacy
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Tech
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
Kemi Ashefon Love Haven
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Entertainment

It’s Death Sentence For Saudi Arabia’s Female Activist, Israa al-Ghomgham

Kemi Ashefon by Kemi Ashefon
8 years ago
in Entertainment, General, Lifestyle, News, Politics
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
It’s Death Sentence For Saudi Arabia’s Female Activist, Israa al-Ghomgham
498
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Human Rights Watch says Saudi prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for a female activist, Israa al-Ghomgham, for non-violent acts.
It would be the first time that a female activist would bag such a punishment.
“It is unprecedented that they would seek the death penalty for a woman,” Zayadin told NBC News today.
Saudi Arabian officials were not immediately available to comment on the case.
She added that the kingdom’s public prosecutor behind the charges were reporting directly to King Salman and “by proxy” his son, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
Ghomgham is among five Shiite Muslim activists from Saudi Arabia’s Eastern Province currently on trial and facing the death penalty in a secretive terrorism court, according to Human Rights Watch.
Most people executed in the Gulf kingdom are beheaded with a sword, according to Reprieve, an international charity focused on the death penalty.
The charges against the group that Ghomgham is part of include incitement to protest, chanting slogans hostile to the regime, attempting to inflame public opinion, and providing moral support to rioters.
The crown prince, who is widely seen as the power behind the throne, has been on an intense international public relations campaign to tout the kingdom’s efforts to transform the Saudi economy and return the deeply conservative society to “moderate” Islam.
Women have been granted permission to drive and more freely work outside the home, and the country’s fearsome religious police have been defanged.
But a recent wave of detentions of intellectuals, clerics, journalists and women’s rights campaigners has alarmed rights workers around the world as well as some Saudi allies. Canada’s call in early August for the immediate release of Saudi women’s rights activists within days spiralled into a full-blown diplomatic crisis.
Saudi Arabia’s explosion at a Canadian tweet shows how rules have changed
Rights groups worry that the execution of a woman for non-violent offences would set a precedent.
Zayadin added that Ghomgham’s case “provided a window” to an intensifying crackdown that had already swept up peaceful women’s rights campaigners.
The prosecution of Ghomgham was reported earlier this week by Berlin-based European-Saudi Organisation for Human Rights and ALQST, a London-based rights group.
The charges are related to Ghomgham’s involvement in huge demonstrations in Saudi Arabia’s Eastern Province — where most of the country’s Shiites live — that started in 2011.
She was arrested in December 2015 with her husband, who is also charged. Their next court date is scheduled for Oct. 28.

Kemi Ashefon Love Haven

Copyright © 2024 Kemi Ashefon Love Haven.

Navigate Site

  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Policy
  • Contact Us

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Policy
  • Contact Us

Copyright © 2024 Kemi Ashefon Love Haven.